Sunday, May 6, 2012

Trailside Nature Center

We took a field trip a few weeks ago that I never blogged about.  We took a trip out to Trailside Nature Center in preparation for a planned field trip with our 4-H club.  I had been to the center years ago (like 15+) when I was a docent, for outreach programs.  I wanted to check out the changes before our 4-H trip and I was glad I did because it was very, very different.  Our 4-H trip ended up being cancelled due to rain and Vicki not feeling well so I figured I could go ahead and blog about our trip there.

We started out in the Nature & Science Center. 

There were large dioramas showing close-up looks at some of the animals that could be found in the forest.

IMG_8023 - Copy - Copy 

IMG_8024 - Copy - Copy

A three story tree with information about life among the roots…..

IMG_8050

the trunk…

IMG_8074

and the leaves.

IMG_8025 - Copy - Copy 

The meadow exhibit had lots of interactive information about insect life.

IMG_8028 - Copy - Copy IMG_8029 - Copy - Copy IMG_8030 - Copy - Copy IMG_8036 - Copy

There was a life-size model of a Lenni Lenape wigwam complete with fake fire….

IMG_8038 - Copy 

IMG_8040 - Copy IMG_8041 - Copy

an Into the Night exhibit where we went into a dark room and watched as various nocturnal animals were highlighted and discussed (we had to sit through this three times)…..

IMG_8042 

a viewing window to look for birds, squirrels or chipmunks….

IMG_8051 IMG_8061

a Discovery Room with butterflies to color in (painted on a chalkboard, I really love this idea)….

IMG_8063 

a fossil dig…

IMG_8065

and furs and feathers to feel.

IMG_8070 

We finished with a walk on some of the many trails outside.

IMG_8077

IMG_8078

No comments:

Post a Comment